Kingsford is located along the Menominee River in Dickinson County, just across the Wisconsin/Michigan border, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Recreational activities are popular in the area, including boating, hiking, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, and camping.
Kingsford is one of the youngest communities in the area; its city charter was approved in 1947. This progressive city traces its roots to the automobile industry when an expansion by Henry Ford brought an automobile support plant to the city in 1920. Although the plant is no longer operating, the city has maintained a diverse industrial base and rich business climate, along with a strong school system and a family-friendly atmosphere.
Kingsford became a household name because of the charcoal briquettes produced here from 1951 to 1961. Local residents formed the Kingsford Chemical Company after Henry Ford II closed his saw mill and parts plant in 1951.
Henry Ford’s influence endures in this city where the airport, hospital, park, and dam bear his name. Kingsford continues to thrive long after the era when Henry Ford’s “Woody” station wagon bodies and World War II gliders were produced in the city.
Kingsford today is home to diverse industries and small businesses.